Tuesday, September 20, 2016

VIVA MEXICO ~ 1267 DAYS


VIVA MEXICO

It has been one thousand two hundred and sixty seven days since our adventure of moving to Mexico.
This past weekend Dan and I celebrated with the rest of Mexico their Independence Day (September 16th).   We were invited by some friends to go to dinner and listen to music. It was the traditional food and music to create the true meaning of their culture.


Long before 1810, Mexicans had begun to chafe under Spanish rule. Spain kept a stranglehold on her colonies, only permitting them limited trade opportunities and generally appointing Spaniards (as opposed to native-born Creoles) to important colonial posts. To the north, the United States had won its independence decades before, and many Mexicans felt they could, too. In 1808, Creole patriots saw their chance when Napoleon invaded Spain and imprisoned Ferdinand VII. This allowed Mexican and South American rebels to set up their own governments and yet claim loyalty to the imprisoned Spanish King.



This was the start of Independence Day in Mexico.  The celebration starts on the day before and around 11J in the evening of the 15th the president speaks to the Mexicans and the party continues into the next day.



As you can see in the pictures below, they go all out singing the traditional songs and play with honor.  Dan and I enjoyed the day with friends going to Jocotepec a town near us and listened to a band that was only 10 yards away from us.  I felt the music bouncing off my chest.  Loud and passionate, the kids played with gusto. 








Since we have been living in the community of Chapala, I have learned so much about traditions and how proud they are of their culture.  I have had the pleasure in meeting some wonderful Mexicans as well as Americans and Canadians.  The unity together has made me wonder and realize how lucky Dan and I are to have decided to move here.  I feel safe and do not fear that something bad would happen to me in this community.  I invite you to come and visit this area and see for yourself.











No comments:

Post a Comment